Friday, May 1, 2009

Swine flu - To Be or Not To Be...Worried

This strain of hybrid flu has grabbed headlines and people's fears as more than a hundred people in North America have died from the disease, most in Mexico. The CDC says this strain of flu could be on it's way to becoming a pandemic. I'll admit, I'm a bit concerned over the thing, but is it all in my head, or is there something to it?

My wife thinks I'm worried when I shouldn't be, and she has the Bible to back her up.

Even still, has this whole swine flu thing reminded anyone of the movie "I Am Legend?" Part of the plot is that the human race is decimated by a pandemic that kills off 90% of the global population. No, swine flu isn't that serious, but it is causing people to panic in a way we haven't seen in decades. Should we really be concerned?

Well, consider this. As we sit here today, there are several pandemics among us. HIV/AIDS, west nile virus, measles, etc. Oh, and don't forget the regular old flu. There are plenty of things to get us worried about, but Jesus encouraged us not to worry. And, He was right. For His followers, there really is nothing to worry about. As Paul said of himself and the believers, "to live is Christ and to die is gain."

No comments:

Post a Comment