Thursday, August 6, 2009

Discipline

I had to discipline one of my sons the other night. It wasn't a pleasant experience, but a necessary one. I won't go into the details -- the who, what, where, when, etc. Let's just say that a stubborn, defiant streak had to come to an end.

My son refused to do a simple task he was told to do. He threw a tantrum. He flopped on the floor. He back-talked. He earned his discipline. And, at the time, he didn't think it was very fair. He tried to cut deals. He tried to turn and run away. He wanted to avoid the task and the discipline.

It's interesting that this pattern of behavior doesn't seem to change as we grow into adulthood. We all still have defiant streaks in us. We want to do things our way, and anyone who would challenge us might just receive an adult-sized tantrum.

As I was dealing with my son, God brought it to my attention that some days, I'm just like that. I allow a certain sin pattern into my life, and I don't want God telling me what to do. Being a Christian, I know that if I persist, I will eventually leave God no choice but to discipline me.

God's methods of discipline vary greatly depending on the person and the situation. But, His discipline is perfect, and if we submit to Him we will come out ahead in the long run.

See, just like I try to correct poor patterns of behavior in my children, God does the same with His children.

Jeremiah 29:11 tells us that God has great designs for his people. A fabulous master plan that we get to be a part of. Sadly, sin interrupts our involvement in that plan. God doesn't change. His master plan doesn't change. But, when sin fills our lives, it short circuits, or better yet, it cuts the connection between us and God. We effectively prevent God's plan in our lives when we sin.

Enter discipline. Proverbs 3:11-12 tells us, "My child, don’t reject the Lord’s discipline, and don’t be upset when he corrects you. For the Lord corrects those he loves, just as a father corrects a child in whom he delights."

How's that truth for you? God sets out to correct us, because he cares deeply for us. He wants us to have a relationship with Him, not be cut off by the sin in our lives. So, He corrects us in order to bring us back to Him.

The writer of Hebrews adds to these thoughts. Did you catch verse 10? God's discipline is ALWAYS good for us. Sure, it's not any fun to be disciplined, especially by God. But, He does it to fulfill the last part of verse 10 -- so we can share in his holiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment