Monday, August 17, 2009

First Day of Class: Part One of Eleven

This week, another school year begins for my family. My oldest enters a new level, a new school with new friends (and some old), new teachers and new responsibilities. My middle son enters Kindergarten in a brand new school building. He'll make some new friends, experience a bunch of firsts and all the ups and downs of being in school.

I'm excited for my boys. I was one of the rare ones who actually enjoyed school. I'm a bit of a nerd, and learning new things always draws me in. But, when I was in school, I was rather shy, so making new friends wasn't my strong suit. I imagine it's that way with most kids who experience a bunch of new things all at once.

It kind of reminds me of what newcomers experience when they first come to church. Everything is new to them, and a bit weird. They don't understand all the procedures. They don't know what it means to raise hands in worship. They don't know when to stand or sit. They don't know the order of service. They don't know what tithing is. They don't know the dress code. They don't know that hymnals go by song number instead of page number. They rely on page number to find Leviticus rather than knowing right where to turn. They don't know where the restrooms are, or where the kids area is located. They aren't aware of any check-in procedures for their kids.

Essentially, newcomers to your church are like children going to a new school for the first time. Do you remember how uncomfortable you or your kids were on that first day of school? That's exactly how newcomers feel.

So, those of us in the church need to think like first timers when we plan out our services, our procedures, our building layout, etc. Uncomfortable kids have to keep going back. Eventually, they get comfortable. Uncomfortable church attendees will rely heavily on that first experience to help them decide on a return visit. First impressions really are lasting impressions.

Over the next few weeks, I will be looking at ways churches can make their houses of worship more inviting and comfortable. Before we get started, one thing you will notice is that I will never mention changing the message of the Gospel. NEVER. What you will get are some practical tidbits that every church should consider.

Feel free to drop thoughts and suggestions on each topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment