Monday, September 21, 2009

The Healtcare Idol

One thing has been bugging me lately about the debate on healthcare reform. I was watching some of the public comments on one of the cable news channels, and someone made the claim that health insurance was a right, not a previlage.

The reform of the healthcare system has captured the American spotlight as liberals try to take us into socialized healthcare and conservatives try to prevent it. I've stated my take on the healthcare debate before.

What concerns me today is this notion that we all deserve healthcare. That it is our right. That we cannot survive without it (which is a bogus argument, considering we've done pretty well so far).

When did our very existence depend on a need for health insurance? From where did the notion come that says we cannot survive without it?

Friends, we have made healthcare and health insurance our newest idol in America. We have taken something harmless, and turned it into a necessity. We're replacing our reliance on God with a reliance on the government. Hmm, I suppose that makes government an idol, too.

Exodus 20:3-6 says:

"You shall have no other gods before me.
"You shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. You shall not bow down to them or serve them, for I the LORD your God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and the fourth generation of those who hate me, but showing steadfast love to thousands of those who love me and keep my commandments.

As Mark Driscoll would point out, insurance itself is a good thing. There's nothing necessarily wrong with having insurance to cover the catastrophic events of life, or planning long term care of an elderly loved one. But, as Mark says, when you take a good thing and make it a god thing, that becomes a bad thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment