Thursday, May 10, 2012

How to Make Southern Gospel Radio Better

I've been on the air for 19 years, most of it spent spinning southern gospel music. I've seen a lot over the years -- some good, some bad.

One of the things I have figured out is that there is a great misconception about what southern gospel is, and what it is not. Many people outside the genre think it to be a poor quality style of music. They may cite poor vocals, poor arrangements, poor concerts, aging audience, etc.

The truth is that those critics are partially correct. There are groups out there, some at the national level, that do not sing or play well. And, I'm being gracious with that comment. There are some musical arrangements that make you wonder what was going on in the studio when the tracks were recorded. And, yes, the majority of the southern gospel audience is retirement age.

The truth also contains a large majority of artists that are very talented. A growing fan base of younger adults who appreciate the skill involved in creating vocal harmony, as well as the gospel message in music form.

For southern gospel radio stations, there is still a stigma that the genre is sub par. Fortunately, radio has the power to transform this view of the music to one that is positive. But, it will take determination to put for the best we have.

As a radio program director, I have structured my station to play the best music available. I am very picky about what I put on the air. In a given month, I may receive as many as 50 singles. Only about a quarter of those make our play list.

I listen and critique the vocal and instrumentation quality, arrangement, lyrics and production. I have high standards about what deserves to be played verses what deserves to hit the bottom of my trash can. That's a harsh reality for some artists that are seeking air play. But, I have to apply Colossians 3:23-24 when I evaluate what we air. We represent Christ, and as a result, must put forth our best music.

Does that mean new, up-and-coming artists are excluded? Not at all. In fact, it sets a standard by which they can measure their growth as an artist. And, this bar is a little flexible, so that if an artist is trying to do what we ask of them, we'll give them air play to support their efforts.

And that's how southern gospel radio can make the genre better. By becoming selective in what is aired, a standard is created, and all those who wish to sing in the industry will have a benchmark to strive for.

If you program or run a southern gospel radio station, or are one of the many southern gospel artists in the industry, and you would like advice on improving what you do, I'm available for consultations. Feel free to make contact.

No comments:

Post a Comment