Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Lead Like the World Depends on It

I admit guilt to today's post. I've done it before. And, I'm embarrassed to admit it. I've led small groups...I've taught...I've preached based on the size of the group.

What does that mean? Well, simply put, it's easier to lead or teach a large group of people when you can be the rock star they're all looking to. It's a lot more difficult when you're hoping for a great turnout, but only get a handful.

You might even prepare for a dozen, but when you get only two, the wind goes out of your sails, and you give a two-effort. On the flip side, if you prepped for two, but got the dozen, you would be thrilled.

I think it's human nature to want to give a two-audience a two-effort, especially when you were expecting a twelve-audience. Being disappointed in your turnout as a leader is one of the many mental challenges that great leaders have to overcome.

A pastor told me once that you have to teach to one like you would teach to one hundred. You have to give it your best possible effort regardless of the situation.

Leading is like that, too. You have to put the same quality in the effort for small, unimportant projects that you would give a life-changing project.

And, that's what it really boils down to...quality.

Building a habit of high quality, even in the small, insignificant stuff will create produce high reward in the big stuff.

For more reading, check out this blog post by Jon Acuff. It speaks to another angle of this topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment