Friday, July 17, 2009

Dealing With Critics

Most Christians I know have their list of questions they plan to ask Jesus someday, and I'm no exception. Today, I added one to my list. With all the power and authority Jesus had after rising from the tomb, why did He never prove His deity to His critics?

We know from Matthew's Gospel account that rumors abounded about what became of Jesus' body. Those who criticized and crucified Jesus made up a story that the disciples stole his body to create the illusion of a resurrection. This passage even notes that this rumor was still circulating at the time Matthew was written, between 30 and 50 years after Christ returned to heaven.

Why didn't Jesus just show up at the temple and put an end to all the speculation and rumors? I mean, if it had been me, I probably would have beamed into the center of the worship service, hovered a few feet off the ground, healed everyone, then made sure everyone knew who it was that had killed me. Yeah, they'd pay.

Of course, my way of doing it would've been filled with a ton of pride and revenge...not exactly what the scriptures say here and here. So, I find it very interesting that instead of proving His critics wrong, Jesus chose to ignore them. That's a lesson we would do well to apply to our own lives.

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed this. I, too, have found over the years that the best response to critics is no response.

    ReplyDelete