Monday, July 6, 2009

Making a Career Transition

The majority of my adulthood (about 15 years, give or take your definition of adulthood) has been spent doing ministry work. Whether it's been the lay leader/volunteer or Christian radio, I've done a lot of work in the ministry.

That took a bit of a change 2-1/2 years ago when God gave me a vision for changed lives and pastoral/church ministry. No longer would I be the lay volunteer or leader. No longer would I be the DJ spinning ministry tunes. I knew God wanted to use me in a special way to spread the Gospel message.

However, I didn't really treat it that way. One of the things I'm learning right now is that a God-sized change in a person's life requires a God-sized transition. For me, this is requiring a change in the way I view the church and ministry. This is no longer going to be something I volunteer for when I have time. It's going to be my career.

This career transition has really taken my mind (and my wife's) over the past couple of weeks. Probably the biggest adjustment has been to view pastoral ministry as a job, and not just something I volunteer for. This new line of thinking is helping to change the way I look at any speaking opportunity or church vacancy.

I'm a work in progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment