Thursday, November 19, 2009

The Poor Among You

"You will always have the poor among you...."

Those words of Jesus to his disciples still ring true today. One doesn't have to drive far from the comfort of their home to find those without a home. On your way home from your job, you'll no doubt pass someone without a job.

All around us there are people in great need. Yet, for far too long, the Church, especially in America, has ignored them. We live in the wealthiest country in all the world, yet most of us refuse to lend a helping hand to fight poverty.

"The poor can just go get a job."

"Let them ask someone else for help."

Have you heard those lines before? Maybe you've used them. Whatever your excuse may be, the Bible tells us that we have no excuse.

Matthew 25:31-46 contains one of the more familiar passages about the poor. The most well known line is found in verse 40, "I tell you the truth, when you did it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were doing it to me!"

In this passage, Jesus tells Christians what we're supposed to be doing in regards to those in need. "For I was hungry, and you fed me. I was thirsty, and you gave me a drink. I was a stranger, and you invited me into your home. I was naked, and you gave me clothing. I was sick, and you cared for me. I was in prison, and you visited me."

To His disciples who follow this command He says, "Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the Kingdom prepared for you from the creation of the world."

To those who didn't follow this command He says, "Away with you, you cursed ones, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his demons."

That tells me that the Church will not get off the hook for ignoring the poor and needy. It is our duty, our responsibility as Christ-followers to lead the charge toward helping those who need help.

To not do so is the same as flipping Christ the middle finger. How do I know? Because of what Jesus says in verse 45, "I tell you the truth, when you refused to help the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were refusing to help me."

No comments:

Post a Comment