Wednesday, February 16, 2011

A Great Lesson My Church Taught Me

I will admit that sometimes I can have a very cynical attitude. I used to not be that way, but time has a way of changing optimism into cynicism. It can be a battle to constantly keep that glass half-full.

I used to be that way in my opinion about churches, and the sometimes strange things they can do. The unconventional ones could be the worst, or so I thought.

Today, I attend one of those unconventional churches. And, that has completely changed my perspective. We do some pretty off the wall things in our music and messages. They may be irreverent and funny. They might be ultra-serious. And, they all tend to draw some criticism, especially from the religious crowd outside the church.

But, this church has taught me a very important lesson. Criticism should be saved until the results become known.

Recently, we did a preaching series with a gag toy as the main element. You might expect that it drew a lot of angry phone calls and letters. But, at the end of the day, hundreds of people gave their lives to Jesus as a result of the irreverent sermons, because they dealt with the stuff that we face on a daily basis.

Just a thought for the next time you're tempted to jump on a church for one of it's unconventional methods.

No comments:

Post a Comment