Monday, February 7, 2011

Monday Ten

1. The Monday after the Superbowl should be a federal holiday so no one has to go to work. Seriously. Studies have shown that the Monday after the Superbowl is one of the least productive days of the year.

2. I watched the game with my wife and boys at the house. I had predicted on the air last Friday that the Packers would win 31-28. I wasn't far off. The Pack won 31-25.

3. Many people watch the Superbowl for the commercials, and there were some winners last night. Volkswagon had a couple of hits with the beetle ad, and our family's favorite, the Darth Vader kid.

4. Speaking of the commercials, it appears that the beer commercials have matured a bit. They weren't nearly as racy as they have been in the past. If there were Razzies for worst ads, Pepsi Max would have won all categories. Terrible, family un-friendly stuff.

5. A lot of people have been cracking on Christina Aguilera's botching the lyrics of the National Anthem. Two thoughts: a) You practice and memorize the lyrics to dozens of songs for a tour, but you can't get the lyrics right to a song you've sung since grade school? Seriously? b) Oversinging The Star-Spangled Banner does not make it any more pleasurable than forgetting the lyrics.

6. Halftime show with the Black Eyed Peas was about as terrible as the stuff my cat gacked up on my carpet Saturday night. Admittedly, I'm not that big of a Black Eyed Peas fan, but I don't have anything against them...except that they sounded terribly off key. But, I'll give the blame there to the sound crew that had weeks to prepare for this event only to show up and not do their job. It's the Superbowl halftime show. The number one rule is to make sure everyone's microphone is ON...unless they're lip synching, which the Peas were obviously not doing. Please, NFL, I beg you, hire me for half the money, and you'll get a good show. Better yet, Jerry Jones can hire me to coach the Cowboys and I'll do as good as they did last season.

7. The game was good, but the spread of food that my wife came up with was even better. Great chili, Pizza Hut's new pepperoni dipping sticks thing and a delicious crumb cake. The food rated better than the baby back ribs we used to get from Cheddars.

8. This past week's snow storm delayed delivery (by a day) of speakers for my new sound system. I'm using Pioneer's VSX-1020-k receiver and a pair of Sony SS-F7000 floor standing speakers. The Superbowl sounded awesome. I'll be reviewing these components in the near future.

9. Now that the Superbowl is over, I want to put my sound system to a real test. NASCAR is right around the corner. "Let's go racing, boys!"

10. Last, but not least in this special sports-themed 10, it is February, which means that Major League Baseball's Spring Training is around the corner.

No comments:

Post a Comment