Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Do What You Can With What Little You Have

When I was in my teens and early 20s, I had dreams of making a lot of money and owning a lot of stuff. I reasoned it in my mind that with a lot of money and stuff, I could really help a lot of people through giving to my church or other charitable organizations.

Life didn't turn out like I had planned. That wealth has never materialized the way I had envisioned. In fact, that's pretty common for many folks, especially in foreign countries where poverty is abundant.

In Mark 12, Jesus witnesses a woman giving all that she had as an offering to God. She was surrounded by those who had great wealth, and were also giving to the temple. Jesus makes the distinction that the widow gave more than all the wealthy people, because she gave all that she had, where the rich people gave of their abundance.

This illustration is used in many ways, but one of the best applications I can come up with relates to how those with little to give can still impact the kingdom of God.

I still have a desire to be wealthy (although I'm not consumed by this desire) in order to be able to help those in need. But, because I'm not wealthy, does that mean that I shouldn't try to help those in need? Better yet, because I cannot help all, does that mean I shouldn't try to help one?

I'm not sure how it is in other cultures, but in America, we live in an entitlement society. In other words, many of our young and poor have been convinced that they are entitled to something they have not earned. As a result, when help is delivered, but is limited in scope, there is some chastizement that sometimes comes from those who didn't receive any help.

There is also a sense of helplessness for those who give, because of the reality that no size of gift will cure all the ails of the world.

So, what do we do? Do we give up? Do we forge ahead? How do we handle those that criticize our efforts? How do we make everyone happy?

The widow gives us some insight. She would say, "Just give what you can. Any amount helps."

We don't know how the temple leaders used her gift, but rest assured they did use it. In your church or community, rest assured that those you give to will use it, no matter the size of your gift.

So, the next time you think what you're giving won't make a difference, just remember that in Mark 12, Jesus noticed.

No comments:

Post a Comment