Monday, July 12, 2010

Monday Ten

1. Sleep. My wife and I have been deprived of it. Primarily due to the kiddos.

2. Rest. That's what we tried to do this weekend...with marginal success.

3. Mow. I downed the forest growing in my yard. Worst weed-eating job I've ever had to do. Not because the growth was that bad, but my gas tank ran dry on the machine, and I had to fill the thread twice. I have never had to do either of those before. EVER.

4. Sleep. I tried to do that Sunday afternoon, but there are three things that set little kids' radars off: someone trying to nap, someone on the phone, and their parents trying to have some "quiet time." I got beat up trying to nap.

5. Movies. North Point Church is doing the God At The Movies sermon series again. This year doesn't contain the controversial films that last year's series did. This past weekend was "Avatar," and dealt with the parable Jesus told about the Pharisee who thanked God that he wasn't like the nasty tax collector; while the tax collector begged God for forgiveness.

6. Perceptions. Just like the Pharisee in that story, many times we can develop unfounded prejudices toward people not like us. But, we may be way off base in our assumptions. We must get to know people before we try to pass judgement on them.

7. Baseball. Two years ago I promised my oldest son that we would go to a Springfield Cardinals game. But, my wife and our other two kids were in a bad wreck the night before, and our plans were scrapped. Now, barring a rain out, we should get our outing tomorrow night. Should be fun.

8. Golf. On Wednesday, I get to participate in the Cardinals Care Pro-Am in Branson. It's part of the charity work for the upcoming Price Cutter Charity Championship on the Nationwide golf tour. I'll be golfing with a member of the Cardinals, two co-workers, and the Baptist Bible College president. Should be fun.

9. Leader. I'm looking forward to hanging with the college president. He's a very good leader. Maybe he'll share some leadership gems while we play golf.

10. Men. I've been reminded recently about how important it is for kids to have strong father figures in their lives...boys especially. It's driving me to be a better father to my own kids. Manhood has been watered down in our culture. It's time for the men to discover themselves again.

No comments:

Post a Comment