Wednesday, January 5, 2011

I Want to Write a Book

I have wanted to write a book for years.

I have thought about different topics, and different genres. I have even made several attempts at a manuscript. But, I have always stopped shortly after starting.

The reasons have varied, but ultimately, I haven't done it, because I haven't been passionate about what I was writing. As a result, I haven't done my homework on what it takes to write a book and get it published.

This year may be different.

I don't have any unrealistic expectations about getting my idea published. I'm a first-time author. But, I know I have a good idea, and I know that I could fill a book on the subject.

Would anyone buy a book on this subject? Maybe. It would probably end up as a graduation or engagement gift. It won't be deeply theological, but should be very practical.

Is my idea original. In one word, NOPE. On any given Sunday, you'll hear pastors speak to the subject I'm considering. But, there is a time and a season for everything, and I think the time/season may be right for a book on this topic. For that matter, the time is probably right for several books on this topic.

I'm doing my homework. I'm beginning to learn what it takes to build a platform, shape the ideas, and put them to paper (or a Word document, in my case). Eventually, I'll have to shop the idea around to some agents who can take my idea to a publisher.

It's a long process that many times will end in failure. But, you never know until you try.

What is something you would like to accomplish this year? What are you doing to achieve that goal within the next 12 months?

No comments:

Post a Comment