Thursday, January 20, 2011

Strive for Excellence - Part One

Last week, I led a meeting with my staff to do a little training, and unveil a simple strategy to help us improve what we do.

I could have easily opened the meeting by saying we were striving for perfection. And, while that is something I hope my co-workers achieve, I also realize it is very unrealistic.

You've heard the phrase, "You can fool some of the people all of the time...." Well, a similar philosophy applies to perfection. You can be perfect some of the time. But, you can't be perfect all of the time.

Too many people stress themselves into burnout trying to be perfect at what they do in life, be it parenting, career, recreation, etc. Instead, the better option is to strive for excellence.

Excellence is much easier to achieve. It tells people that I'm constantly trying to improve, but I know there will be times I drop the ball.

The leader who encourages his staff toward excellence will always be asking, "What can we do to make it better." But, the leader who wants perfection from his people will always be finding something wrong.

Remember -- excellence is a good thing ... perfection is unattainable. What are some ways you are striving for excellence?

No comments:

Post a Comment