Monday, April 20, 2009

When NOT to Hit SEND

The other day I was reading some Twitter posts, and one of the guys I follow resent a Bible verse someone else had posted earlier in the day. The verse was from Proverbs and dealt with an issue that a friend of mine is struggling with at the moment.

I immediately started to click on the verse link with the intention of forwarding to my buddy when common sense grabbed me. Does my friend really need this biblical advice just emailed to him?

As I thought of that question, it occurred to me that this is the equavilent of what we do when we sit in church services and hear a message, then think of a friend we want to get a copy of the message for, because they'll want to hear it. Or, will they?

Let's turn this one around. Say you are the one with the addiction, and your Christian friend drops a CD copy of Sunday's message on your desk with the words, "I thought about you when I heard this." UGH! Slap a little insult onto the injury.

So, let's approach the hey-friend-my-pastor-spoke-on-your-issue gift from a different angle. Here's the suggestion. Go ahead and get the CD, but hold onto it until your conversation turns to this topic of need. It may take a week or more, but be patient. Then, when the topic comes up, you can say, "Hey, my pastor spoke on that at church not too long ago. Would you like me to get a copy of the message for you?" After that, you just go on what they say. And, who knows, if they like what they here, it might open the door for an invite to your church.

So, remember that patience is a virtue, don't hit send, and wait for the right opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment